Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Let your tears come, let them water your soul....


I guess everyone has heard about what happened in Orlando this week.
I can't actually bear to read all the details.
I can't bear to think about those people who went out to have fun
and never came back.

I can't bear to think of all of their friends and lovers, 
their family and associates
who never got to say good bye.
Who woke up in the morning and found out that their friend was gone.
There were no second chances.

Those people are going to walk around for the rest of their lives
missing someone who should be here.
The pain never goes away, friends are irreplaceable,
the pain just becomes part of who you are.

You learn to live with it.
You learn to carry on. At first it hurts so bad,
you can't believe your body keeps functioning,
but after a while you learn to adjust.

Until you remember.

I hope we never forget the precious lives that were lost in Orlando.
They were lost because of hate,
it was not an accident, it was a deliberate act of malice.
A hate crime fuelled by homophobia.

I cannot make it better for them,
I cannot bring them back.
I cannot physically put our arms around them
or cook them a dinner or bake them a cake.

 All I can do, here at the bottom of the globe,
is to continue teach my children that love is love,
that loving unconditionally is the only important thing
and that hate will never change anything.

I don't think there is anything else I can do.
The whole thing is heartbreaking.

3 comments:

  1. so, so sad. I haven't read the details either it will just make me sick and break my heart. :-( x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you posted this. I haven't read the details of this tragedy either. And yet I've had an internal struggle about it, wondering if that means I'm becoming complacent about "this type of thing" or more deeply sorrowful. We don't really need the details to mourn the loss of lovely young people do we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't and won't read the details. It is just too much. This lust for the details is sick.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!