Sunday, June 5, 2016

Remembering {24 years}


On this day 24 years ago I married David.
We have been separated for 15 months now and both moved on
in new directions in our lives.
David has a lovely girlfriend and I have a lovely warm house,
a job that I love and good friends.



Today my Timehop app was filled with photos of us
because it is our wedding anniversary.
When I saw them, I initially felt punched in the gut,
it made me sad because I did like being married to David. 


I like the security of being married,
the feeling of having a back stop so you don't have to second guess yourself,
I like having someone to look after,
someone to show your love to every day in one hundred
little practical ways.


I loved cheering him on from the side line,
I loved that he achieved great things, like the way he decided to take up cycling
and then did it with such passion and ability.

Or the time he decided to learn painting,
and then turned out to be amazingly good at it.
I liked having someone that I was ridiculously proud of.


Even though it didn't work out in the end,
I don't feel like we failed.
We were a good team, we have four great kids,
we ran an excellent business. We worked well together.

Until we didn't. 
But that is ok too, because it turns out the rest of your life is a really long time,
my story isn't finished yet.

11 comments:

  1. all the love today Deb, you are a picture of generous and self-giving love xxx love and admiration my friend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful. I'm in the middle of divorcing my darling husband of 16 years and moving home to NZ from the US. This is exactly what I needed to read today so thank you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said Deb, you didn't fail it just didn't work out to be a lifelong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful way to honour the past present and look to your future xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful way to honour the past present and look to your future xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so right Deb, you did great things in your marriage. It was good. And you will do great things in the future and it will be good. It is good now too. Really good xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, amazing honouring beautiful post. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't know you when you were married....but i imagine it was good.😊 You are good to be around...and you do divorce so gracefully!!!!! There is always a place for looking back and remembering...... I think it helps us to forgive..... and also more importantly to see how far we've come. You're an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know you when you were married....but i imagine it was good.😊 You are good to be around...and you do divorce so gracefully!!!!! There is always a place for looking back and remembering...... I think it helps us to forgive..... and also more importantly to see how far we've come. You're an inspiration x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!