Sunday, August 14, 2016

Selfies



It wasn't until I became single, that I really started to take photos of myself. Instead of being someone who supports a partner, I became someone who has to support herself. I take a photo of myself quite often now, especially when the kids aren't there. I think it is because I need to be able to place myself in the picture I have in my head. I need to be able to reflect on where I am and what I am doing.



I am not saying
"look at me" or
"don't I look great/shit" or
"gosh I am amazing/crap".

No not at all.




What I am saying is,
I am here
and I'm not going anywhere, I'm here to stay.
You can choose to like me or not,
I'm still me.




It might seem weird taking photos of myself, but honestly it feels good to finally be putting myself in the picture. I think I will keep on doing it for a while yet. It's a process of learning to feel ok about just being me. Well that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!!

9 comments:

  1. I think it's great that you are saying "hey, I'm here" -- it's way better than all those tweens saying "hey look at me" !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an acquaintance who divorced, as you did, and she was also quite shaken by it. To empower herself and track her new life and its changes, she took a selfie and posted it every day for a year. Good days, bad days, everything. It was amazing how she changed both physically and emotionally, and all for the better. Sometimes it takes pictures in addition to (or instead of) words to really SEE yourself. And I for one (a long distance friend you may never meet) am so glad you share your beautiful self with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never used to take many photos of myself, but now I do. Looking at those photos I can see and feel how I felt in that moment, I think realizing where you are, acknowledging that moment is powerful and part of the steps we take to get to where we are going.

    I hope that makes sense :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me selfies are a way of me accepting who I am and learning to like how I look as I age. I deleted pics of myself for years and would vet anyone's images of me before they posted them on social media. Now idgaf. They help me remember to just BE.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll have to give this a go! If I can figure out the whole "Taking a selfie" thing-I bought a stick, still can't get it! Maybe I just need to practice?
    Anyway, you do what you need to do to bring yourself comfort and joy. Life is a journey after all and we are all on different ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can understand this....and why not?! You're loving and learning to be comfortable with yourself.....Ive done this more in the last couple of years too....it's helped alot x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can understand this....and why not?! You're loving and learning to be comfortable with yourself.....Ive done this more in the last couple of years too....it's helped alot x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly right! I think many women (our generation at least) never look at ourselves with the idea of really seeing without judging. Just saying "this is what I look like and I'm just fine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!