Tuesday, January 31, 2017

I signed the divorce and I'm ok


Yesterday I signed the document that formalises the end of my marriage to David. I never in all my wildest dreams imagined this day. Nearly 24 years ago I promised to honour and obey David till "death us do part", but it turns out that the rest of your life is a really long time. In 51 days David is getting married again and I truly hope that his new life is all that he imagines it will be.

I guess I never thought I would be strong enough to be a single parent, to earn my own living and to own my own home. But I can and I am. I make mistakes and I struggle, but honestly I have no regrets. I hope that I am showing my kids how to be a strong, independent person, someone who makes plans and who works their hardest to make them happen. It's pretty liberating to be able to make your own decisions (both good and bad) and have to be responsible and accountable to yourself for those.

I've had a lot of new experiences in the last two years, good times and hard times. There have been tears, there has been frustration and just common old exhaustion. But through it all there has been the knowledge that this is actually going to be ok, it might now be what I planned back when I was 22, but it is all working out.

Here's to the next stage of my life, even though there were loads of things I was worried about, it is going to be ok.

8 comments:

  1. Life rarely turns out the way you expect it will when you are 22! I know mine didn't. I've been single for 6 years now and it has taken almost that long to figure things out-don't give up you can and will make it! Blessed Be, Deb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are a wonderful women Deb, You have handled such struggles with dignity and respect. One chapter closes and another will open ... so "the" say x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had no idea, Deb! I completely understand what you mean by not realizing your life would be what it is, but knowing not what you thought can still be ok. ❤

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plans need to be written in pencil..........so we can rewrite and not feel so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. theres always that little voice sat whispering in your ear saying you cant , but the fact is we get up each morning and just get on with it . Its what we do

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you - positive attitude. I like your attitude to your husband remarrying too - no bitterness, that eats away at you. You're strong and believe in yourself. Go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the love my dear, dear friend x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Deb, what happened to yr instagram? :(

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!