Saturday, June 17, 2017

Football is football and talent is talent. But the mindset of your team makes all the difference. (R Griffin III)


I decided last year that Annie needed to learn to play a team sport. Chrissy and James did, and Reuben would of but we kinda missed the boat. But Annie, I was determined. She's the baby of the family, and really there's no competition for her at home, so I wanted her to have the experience. I played Netball and Softball at school when I was a kid and I loved it. I was a horrible player with zero skills, but I was enthusiastic if that counts. So Annie plays Football. Plus Mr W loves football so that's a bonus because at least someone knows what is going on.


Today we dragged ourselves out of bed in the FREEZING cold and went off to football as we do. I don't know why, maybe she was tired; but today was not Annie's day. At one point she got hit by the ball and she lost the plot. She was not what you might call a contributing member of the team for the rest of the game.

On the way home I had a chat with her. You know, one of those mum chats that start off with "I was very disappointed..."



I try hard not to be one of those parents who say I want you to do this because I say so. So I explained how in a team everyone has to work together for a good outcome. Even if we don't feel like it. It's kind of like our family. We all have to pull together or nobody is winning. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person on my team and the opposition are all going strong.


I never imagined myself as a Football parent standing on the sidelines in the freezing cold. It's a whole new world for me. I want her to have fun, but what I really want is for her to learn to keep going when things are hard, to look out for her teammates and to support them on the field. I want her to learn how a team mate will back you up and how there's always someone cheering on the sideline. I feel like it might take a life time of Saturdays to learn these lessons, but I'm hoping they will stand her in good stead.

Or sometimes like today, maybe we just learn that we have good days and bad days and it's ok we can try again next week.

A lot like life right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!