Tuesday, June 13, 2017

I made a {wonky} thing


I used to make cards with rubber stamps and embossing powder and hot air guns. I taught hundreds of people to make cards. I had loads of gear and dragged it all about the place teaching people. I met loads and loads of people, some of whom I still run into on a regular basis!

Then I got pregnant with Reuben and after he was born I basically never made another card. I can't tell you why. It just happened and I could not make myself do it again. I resigned myself to the fact I was never going to make cards again and a few years later I gave away all of my gear.


I've been making quilts pretty much since I had Reuben. I began sewing once he started sleeping because I was having trouble with my hips and I couldn't walk much but I didn't want to sit around doing nothing while he was asleep. When he was awake he was 100% a full time job, but that's another story.

Sometimes I have wondered if I would get tired of making quilts, but I can honestly say that I haven't. There is always something to learn and I love love love the process of making them.


Recently I've become aware that the way I make quilts is definitely changing. Instead of sewing them all by machine, I have fallen in love with the process of English Paper Piecing. My life is pretty darn busy these days, single parenting, full time work and commuting have eaten up almost all my spare time. I'm really really loving having a super slow project (or five) just ticking a long that I can pick up and put down. I'm working towards finishing a backlog of machine sewn projects that I have promised people, and then next year I plan on mostly slow sewing. It's exciting learning new skills and finding a new love for something which has served my mental health so well for so long.


Having said all that, there is something satisfying about making a project that just comes together quickly. I've been sick with the Plague (a cold) for over a week now.  I've even had two days off work. It's driving me nuts. Being sick is such a downer. Over the weekend I just wanted to sew something and I took this lovely pile of scraps that my sister gave me and made a simple quilt. Then yesterday I stayed home and in the afternoon I basted and quilted it. Usually when I make a quilt I put lots of planning into the making of it, but every now and again I just have to throw something together fast. It felt good you know.



This thing is wonky as can be, but it is bright and snuggly. It looks ok from about 20 metres!! And Bella who commutes with us every day is thrilled to bits to have it as her car quilt on these cold wintery days. For all my love of slow, there's really something to be said for quick gratification.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be making quilts for some time to come yet!!


4 comments:

  1. That's the magic of quilt making! Fast, slow or wonky do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making any quilt warms the sole.
    Personally I prefer slow hand sewing too, so much gentler & relaxing, however I have also experienced the "quick" quilt done in a day or two.... instant gratification is great too sometimes ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting wind change. I too have quilted for years and have always been a machine sewing get it done focused person. I was NEVER going to do hand appliqué. Too slow for me. Guess what? Afterr a wee dabble in appliqué last year I am into a full big quilt this year. Loving it. The perfect pick up, put down project. There's a lot of pleasure in some slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic quilt. Fat is good and the pleasure you commuting buddy will have is enormous.Karen s

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for dropping by. I love to hear from you and I want you to know that I really appreciate each comment!!